Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Charles Reid



The world of watercolor lost a celebrated heavyweight in Charles Reid(1937-2019). He painted in oils and watercolor for nearly sixty years. Over his lengthy career he worked as a fine artist, illustrator and teacher. In addition, he authored eleven instructional books on painting. The above book, Painting FLOWERS in Watercolor with Charles Reid, is one of my favorite books on watercolor. I purchased it in a local bookstore used, for ten dollars. The quality of the printing and page material is superior to any newer versions I have seen. The minute I saw it I knew I was not to leave without it.

Charles won many awards for his paintings such as the gold medal from the Portrait Society of America and several Altman prizes from the National Academy of Design. It was his mastery of the human figure which drew my eye towards his work. His drawing was precise with an economy of line. To the public's eye his paintings perhaps, look unfinished as the background is often left white, the color of the paper. However, his ability to capture the proportions, posture and attitude with the freedom of color and brushwork before a model I find amazing.

Recently, I have followed his facebook feed which on most days posts his daily paintings and travels while teaching workshops all over the world. These seem to be a sort of open sketchbook. His painting style is so unique that I can't think of another painter like him.


No comments:

Post a Comment