Sunday, June 7, 2020

Referencing John Constable

(C) 2020 Dale DiMauro

John Constable(1776-1837) was a noted English landscape painter who worked in the romantic tradition. He was credited with increasing the value of landscape painting.

This photograph was taken in Living Memorial Park in Brattleboro, VT, a view I often see from the  tennis courts which I have played on a bit, lately. This view makes me think of John Constable's The Wheat Field (1816) on exhibit at the Clark Art Institute, in Williamstown, MA, which my wife and I see every year when we visit the museum. Since the museum is currently closed due to COVID-19 this year may not happen for us.

Nevertheless, the qualities I experience at the park which remind me of Constable are the light, particularly in the sky, and the warm colors of the field. Other qualities in common include a distant tree line free of structures. In addition, a worn path leads the viewer into the painting. 

I realize these are rural characteristics but the parallels seemed striking. A little art history is good to keep things in perspective, yet expand our thinking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment