Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Living Memorial Park

(C) 2020 Dale DiMauro

Because COVID-19 has basically caused house arrest since late March, I have spent more time visiting Living Memorial Park in Brattleboro, Vermont than I ever have. By now I have played doubles tennis numerous times on their courts, by the ice rink. Prior to that I was limited to using the hitting wall which is mounted in the same area, as the nets at the tennis courts were not up.

Every time I play tennis at the park, which is usually late in the day, I look over at the fields and distant hills with its picturesque scene. The late afternoon light and the cloud patterns give life to this verdant landscape. However, it's always changing in some way. The greenery continues to grow and fill in, and the light and atmospheric conditions continue to evolve.

As a result of this experience, I kept promising myself I would paint this landscape. Finally, this evening I painted this watercolor basically from memory. Often I take a photograph as a reference, but I haven't had time to print out any pictures. I am also aware that in some way it won't be the exact same scene, which does make things interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment