Sunday, June 21, 2020

Wooden Boxes for Art Books

(C) 2020 Dale DiMauro

When the stay-at-home order first kicked in, back in late March, I wasn't sure what to do with my time. Like everyone else I didn't know how long this house arrest would last, either. However, it had become warm enough to work in my garage comfortably.

So I decided it was best to use any pine boards that I had on hand to create storage space for any books which I had not found a home for. In the end I built six boxes for books with materials I had on hand in my garage. 

The boxes stack well vertically in whatever configuration is needed without being tied to the dimensions of a typical bookshelf. 

Make no mistake this was a lot of work. But it was very satisfying. My creative skills along with craftsmanship traits were brought to use. The boxes have two coats of polyurethane to protect them from aging poorly. Also, it was an excuse to use my router to give all the edges a professional look.

No comments:

Post a Comment