Wednesday, June 10, 2020

New Tools to Play With

(C) 2020 Dale DiMauro

In life it is usually exciting to try new things and new materials. Well, playing with new brushes, pigments and paper for me is always a highlight.

Since winter I have been experimenting with different-sized Isabey mop brushes. They can lay down a juicy wash yet retain a great point for fine work. Due to these characteristics I only bring three brushes with me when I plein air paint. Yet, I still can't believe how versatile these brushes are.

Like brushes, paper is such a personal preference. For me Arches and Saunders watercolor paper are the cream of the crop. They are such reliable surfaces to work with. However, I began to use Fabriano a couple months ago. I have been experimenting with their soft press which is between a smooth and rough surface. Recently, I purchased a hot press watercolor block from Arches, which has a smooth surface. I have not yet used this block but am eager to see what I can do with this paper.

There are so many pigments on the market that it is mind-boggling. I have been frequently combining cobalt blue and permanent alizarin crimson in making my skies for quite a while.

This is more information than the average reader may want to take in, but it's fun for me, and I like to share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment