Sunday, June 14, 2020

Living Memorial Park

(C) 2020 Dale DiMauro


Yesterday afternoon I stopped painting abruptly. The shade had moved in while it also had become quite windy out. On top of that groups of frisbee golf enthusiasts had descended upon me. With this come comments and people peering over your shoulder. None of this rattles me even though it is a distraction.

However, this plein air painting had already grown on me. When arriving home prior to dinner I had ideas about how I wanted to finish this watercolor. So today I set about lifting paint to imply where the multiple tree trunks are, along with the telephone pole just to the right. I gave the main tree an additional wash of green to make it pop from the background, suggested power lines and dropped in the ochre wash, to the right of the field. The cool shadows with their enhanced definition were added today. 

I believe this picture has relatively accurate colorings as I experienced out in the natural light. In particular, I like the added touch of the seed heads on top of the field grasses in the foreground. 

Finally, it is hard to leave the sky alone without any more tinkering around. I resisted the urge to alter the white puffy cloud.


No comments:

Post a Comment