Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Landscapes, Color & Portraits

                                                                    (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro
 

When struggling on a watercolor it is a good idea to utilize the side bar. I have posted on this topic before but it seems like a good thing to do. Most watercolor blocks come with a protective sheet that covers the glued stack of watercolor paper. You can use it as a test sheet to verify if the pigments you have mixed are what you want. Or you can draw or paint doodles on this area. However you use this space it is important as a warming up exercise which frees up your mental approach.

The watercolor on the right was done en plein air last Fall. I ran out of time and did some more work on it at home. I like the layers of growth and strong use of color. However, it needs more work to my way of thinking. I do learn and progress far more from painting outside than in the comfort of my studio.

The cover sheet for me, is valuable real estate, as I can work out details or address challenges during my painting process. Also, I find it rewarding to look back at these graphic marks to see what I was going through and what my approach was.

No comments:

Post a Comment