Sunday, February 7, 2021

Popham Beach

                                                                  (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro

Popham Beach, in Phippsburg, Maine, is a lovely beach and recreational area which often has dramatic sunsets in the Summer months. In addition, the changing water levels makes it fun to explore the beach for seashells and tidal pools.

While I was excited how this watercolor was developing, the end was not what I intended. Often I apply a clear wash of water to unify an area. However, in this case, I put a wash of water over the sky and these yellow dots emerged. In the end I can lift them out with a scrubber but I did not have time today for that.

This was painted on 300 lb Arches cold paper which I have not used in a while. This paper gives you more time to work in the pigment before the paper dries then the 140 lb paper. The expansive and expressive sky was one of the appealing qualities in taking on this subject. 

No comments:

Post a Comment