Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Winter Transformed into Summer

                                                                                    (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro

This watercolor sheet had a life of it's own before it became the image you see. Sometimes the most creative pursuits happen on the spot without thorough deliberations. 

A year or so ago I did a portrait on the back of a black woman. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I was searching for a paper to quickly put pigment on. The darker value left of center was where I tried out some washes with a clump of grasses at the top. 

This image sat in my mind for several days partly because I loved the juicy quality of the washes. Before long I began to develop this image as part of a larger landscape. 

This is what I ended up with. Not bad since I really didn't have anything to begin with. No reference photographs to rely on. Or perhaps I was envisioning a summer scene after that dreaded winter which has ended so suddenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment