Sunday, May 16, 2021

Painting in the Rain

                                                                            (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro
 

This is what a watercolor may look like after you are caught painting in the rain. Earlier this afternoon I had a good start on this watercolor. I had established good edges on my watercolor washes with much variation - a desired state when painting in watercolor.

I had set-up my stuff at a picnic table in a local park and the picture was developing quite well when big drops fell out of the sky. It was still sunny out and there was a blue sky above with some clouds moving about. Well, this shower kept up for a good half hour when I heard a distant thunder making itself known. At this point the whole watercolor block was wet and the paint was no longer drying. By now I decided enough was enough and headed out. At this point, the park had become pretty much empty of people.

When I got home I did some more brush work which will bring the watercolor to a finished state. However, all those dots in the foreground I have no control over. 

When painting outside I have learned to keep things simple from my supplies to my work approach. Also, it is important to be flexible as you do not know what may come at you. However, this kind of experience tells you to cut your losses and move on. Ninety percent of the time I can make due with the circumstances but this was not one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment