Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Quick Sketches

                                                                            (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro
 

Quick sketches really get the juices flowing. When an artist is unsure what they want to work on next it is a valuable exercise to simply put something down on paper. Before long this sketch evolves into a stronger and more simpler composition. 

For quite a while I have been breaking down paintings in my mind, into thirds, horizontally and vertically. During this process I decide if I want a high or low horizon. Likewise, I determine whether the focal point is on center or off to the side. These value studies help determine how the foreground, mid-ground and background are represented.

This process of sketching and resolving the composition on paper prepares me for the upcoming painting and how I want to proceed. The clearer the composition the quicker it moves along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment