Sunday, May 23, 2021

Browns & more Browns

                                                                                       (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro
 

Brown may not be a color we think of when painting watercolors. However, when I am on walks in the spring I notice many browns along with shades of green in our river valleys and lowland areas. 

There is such a range of brown from reddish pigmentation all the way to heavier sepia coloration. Browns can really set a mood in a picture which are unmistakeable. Also, some browns can add a naturalistic and calming feel to the landscape. For this sky I mixed an unknown red someone oozed onto my palette with sap green. For me, this image has attained a mid-summer-like quality with it's lush foliage and rather dry, deserted beach. A storm may even be brewing in the distance.

John Singer Sargent used lovely browns with a warm feel to them in his Venice canal scenes which I greatly admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment