Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Thoughts & Reflections on Painting Watercolors

                                                                            (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro
 

Watercolor I find is the most versatile medium for experimenting. One can scratch the surface to remove pigment or build up layers of paint and achieve subtle or strong value changes. In addition, you can paint freely or very exacting. Not to mention all the textures waiting to be expressed.

Arches watercolor paper is my preference to paint on. I have evolved from painting on blocks, to full sheets or painting a quick study on the back of a random sheet. In fact, I tilt the paper in all directions and watch gravity direct the pigment as I see fit.

This watercolor is one of those test sheets that gets my juices flowing before I dig in on a painting. It is best not to think too much and let your intuition thrust you forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment