Sunday, May 9, 2021

One-Pigment Landscape

                                                                              (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro
 

Every time I work with watercolor I learn something. Actually, I learn a lot. 

This imaginary landscape reminds me or even is inspired from the Maine coast. In essence, this is a one-pigment landscape. The other colors were pools of pigment on my mixing dish which I drew upon to strengthen the perspective. In many instances it doesn't take many layers of paint to convey a landscape. 

I am even beginning to look at the white of the paper differently. The lack of pigment on the paper is one 'layer' of the painting and the whole paper doesn't have to be covered in paint. In the above watercolor, the horizontal bay reads as water without any paint on that area of the paper. 

That is the thing with drawing and painting. You begin to see more clearly the more practice and better judgement one acquires.

No comments:

Post a Comment