Sunday, October 10, 2021

Black & Blue

                                                                                       (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro
 

For some time, in the evening, when watching television with my wife, I have some post-it notes on hand. Often I ponder what color I will get when mixing certain colors in my mind. I then write down these color combinations so I can try them out later. 

This dark blue - black is the product of one of those evenings watching television. In watercolor, as many of you know, it is hard to find a rich dark approaching black. Most tube blacks are dull and uninteresting out of the tube. In contrast, however, when pigments are combined they usually become rich and lively.

When I mixed this combination of yellow ochre/permanent brown and ultramarine blue the whole sheet of paper came to life. I started applying this mixture in other watercolor paintings and became totally inspired.

Basically, the combination of yellow ochre/permanent brown and ultramarine blue are a variation of the three primary colors: yellow, red and blue. There are so many combinations of these primary colors for artists to explore that it is overwhelming. However, I find it rewarding to experiment along the way and increase my knowledge so that later on I can draw upon this in my painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment