Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Eldridge Hardie(1940-2021)


Eldridge Hardie(1940 -2021) painted sporting art in a similiar vein as Winslow Homer and Ogden Pleissner. He loved fishing, hunting and making art. He lived a good chunk of his adult years in Colorado.

I have had a used book on his art for years called: The Paintings of Eldridge Hardie: Art of A Life In Sport. I pulled it out of my bookshelf the other day. I had forgotten how much I appreciated his watercolors.

The colors in his watercolors remind of this time of year with the changing of the seasons and the vibrant fall foliage.

Above, I copied a detail from his painting: New Brunswick: September 30, 1994, both as a study of his approach and expressive brushwork. I find it hard to find figures in the landscape(who aren't moving all the time) yet I love some of the spatial qualities of the natural landscape here in Vermont.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment