Sunday, November 12, 2017

Eldridge Hardie

(C) 2017 Photograph Dale DiMauro

Several years ago, I purchased this used book, over the internet, titled: The Paintings of Eldridge Hardy: Art of a Life in Sport. There were not many available at the time but I am glad for acquiring it. It has become one of my favorite art books and I keep it at arm's length. 

What I admire about Eldridge Hardies' paintings are the small watercolors such as the one pictured above. There is usually a figure out in the landscape, fishing or hunting, perhaps with a dog. He captures the postures of the figures with simple elegance. His use of a simple watercolor palette enhances the composition. The paintings convey a directness of technique while utilizing the white of the paper to great effect. Often the sky will have a wash of blue with areas left unpainted suggesting clouds.

When I have time to paint outdoors and the weather is conducive to plein air painting I try to emulate the qualities that Eldridge captures in my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment