Thursday, November 9, 2017

Faces in the Crowd

(C) 2017 Drawing Dale DiMauro

When the World Series was on a few weeks ago I started drawing this portrait from a magazine photograph. The magazine has since been recycled so I do not know who took the photograph as to give credit where it is due. Nevertheless, the games ended up becoming such a lengthy affair that I completed this drawing in one sitting.

If I get the facial features relatively accurate in proportion, I feel like some quality about that individual has been captured which are not tangible. More specifically, an element of someone's spirit comes forth. To capture that quality or at least attempt to, with a single pencil and paper for me is exciting.

In drawing you can get straight to the point as it expresses the structural qualities of the face. I consider drawing my dry media as there is no clean-up required.

No comments:

Post a Comment