Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Sketchbook drawing

(C) 2017 Dale DiMauro

When possible I prefer to carry a sketchbook with me wherever I go. Even a simple sketch during lunch on a busy day keeps the mind thinking about potential compositions or the evolution of an idea. At the same time the hand is kept sharp through recording observations and experimenting with different media. Lately, for example, I keep thinking about doing more pen and ink studies.

In the late summer I picked up this sketch book by Canson. I am always experimenting with different papers. Some of my curiosity is simply based on the feel or texture of the paper.  Also, I am intrigued by how technology is changing both the preservation of works on paper and the paper available to use.

This new sketchbook, on the end cap, states that the paper will not turn yellow over time. How are they able to do this? In addition, more and more sketchbooks these days are made where the paper lays flat which was not the case in the recent past, particularly among bound books. Books which do not lay flat drive me nuts. Now that is an advancement that I truly can appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment