Sunday, March 7, 2021

Imaginary Local Landscape

                                                                     (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro
 

For months during lockdown and after with restrictions in our daily life I have been painting the landscape. During this time I have developed a keener eye for the colors and contours seen out in the landscape. 

This watercolor sketch embodies some of these qualities. First, I try to paint the colors I see outside and these are alway changing as the seasons and light are constantly in flux. The intensity of color and brushwork are applied in ways to strengthen the perspective or bring focus to a certain area in the land. For example, the brightest colors are in the foreground and then they fade to weaker pigmentation in the distance. In addition, the edge of the woodland has more articulated foliage then the general massing in the distance. 

One thing I like about watercolor or that I have learned to appreciate is how faint colors in the distance can generate a quality of fog or mist unlike any other media.

Hopefully, these watercolors will continue to develop a whole lot more down the road. Now I just have to paint them on a larger scale with a big brush so they have more impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment