Monday, September 27, 2021

Color Swatches

                                                                            (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro
 

If I have less than an hour of idle time I often make color swatches. There seems to be an endless number of pigments one can combine on a sheet of paper. However, over time I believe I have learned much about the characteristics of certain pigments.

Along the way one learns how the pigment reacts to certain paper or dries in a particular way. For example, Payne's gray, in general, dries much lighter than the value you see when it is wet.

Often, I paint little landscapes over the initial washes as time allows. This includes a wide range of colors for the sky as it is here that sets the mood for the image. In particular, I like it when the sky develops a mottled appearance, with variation, from the settling pigments.

No comments:

Post a Comment