Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Watercolor Sketch

                                                                           (C) 2022 Dale DiMauro


This was painted on the inside cover of my watercolor block. It is one of those quick little color sketches which dries in no time. I suppose any surface is fair game to paint on. 

I am always thinking about what pigments might make a strong pairing. Thus, I need to put down on paper a color mixture which I can refer to when the moment and place is right. 

I was looking at developing a strong evergreen color with the palette I had with me one particular day. I use at least four palettes, some for painting outside, and others because I mix larger puddles of color for larger paintings. However, these palettes don't have the same color pigments so I have to improvise, if necessary.

The watercolor I had been working on was progressing well and the evergreen on the left in the front seemed like it would balance the composition. For the dark value above I combined hookers green, alizarin crimson and payne's gray.

This sample color has a cool, gray quality which is not far off from the deep green I am looking for. If I tweak the ratio's a bit I probably have something I can work with.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment