Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Spring is on it's Way

                                                                           (C) 2022 Dale DiMauro
 

Often I am not sure which is the correct side of the paper to paint on. Over time I have become willing to paint on either side and sometimes both. At least this is when using a good quality paper such as Arches, Saunders, Fabriano etc. I find that the texture differs from one side to the other. Often the watermark is not visible as I have cut a larger sheet down to a smaller size.

In this case I painted on the smoother of the two sides. The paper still buckled a bit so I wet the back with clear water and weigh it down with some heavy jars and it flattens out as it dries.

I have been experimenting by adding raw sienna into my sky as part of my landscape painting. I can sense the clouds acquiring more dimension and weight over time. It is definitely a good color to add on the underbelly of clouds in the foreground.

All of this idle talk is probably more than you want to hear but it does inform the painting process and the decisions one makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment