Sunday, April 24, 2022

Spring Landscape

                                                                             (C) 2022 Dale DiMauro

It is finally exciting to experience warmer temperatures as plants begin to leaf out. After a long winter and a cool April, we have a magnolia tree in full bloom and a plethora of daffodils lighting up the front yard. As a matter of fact, it is not uncommon to find someone in our yard sniffing or taking photographs(even from local newspapers) of our magnolia tree when my wife or I arrive home.

When the lawns and yards fill out with the yellow-greens of spring I am reassured the warm season is here to stay. Just a few years ago I would paint most of my shadows with a blue or cool color. With a broader perspective I expanded that practice to include rich browns which in many ways are the color of spring(along with green).

Brown has been an elusive color for me. However, not so much anymore. I have learned the browns of the earth - the soil and river beds really make the greens come forward in the landscape. 

One of my favorite color combinations to achieve a rich, lively, brown is sepia and permanent sap green.

No comments:

Post a Comment