Wednesday, August 21, 2024

New John Singer Sargent Book


 

John Singer Sargent(1856-1925) is one of my hero's of the watercolor medium. He certainly casts a huge presence for his great portraits of aristocrats and others over a long career. I appreciate the directness of his watercolor painting approach and his use of color.

This past week I came upon a newer biography of Sargent which has consumed much of my time lately. The Grand Affair: John Singer Sargent in His World, by Paul Fisher is such a thoroughly researched book that I get a much clearer view of how his life played out than any book I had read to date.

Since reading this book I view his paintings in a different light. Recently, I visited the Clark Art Museum in western, MA which has several of his oil paintings which were painted in his early twenties.

No comments:

Post a Comment