Wednesday, November 28, 2018

A Virtual Gallery of Paintings

(C) 2018 Dale DiMauro

Recently, I spread out some of the watercolor paintings I have worked on lately. They were on my large drafting table where I work in the winter months. I was both impressed with the collection in general and how colorful many of my watercolors are. Since I have mostly been painting landscapes during the summer months, my palette has evolved to reflect the greens and blues of the season.

Since many are of odd sizes and shapes, they may be a challenge to mat and frame. Regardless, I have embraced the exaggerated horizontal and vertical formats when it seems appropriate. For example, a figure standing up reflects a vertical orientation when you are focusing on the individual. However, if an artist includes other figures or the larger landscape then that may lend itself to a horizontal format.

In my daily travels I make a note of colors I see out in the landscape and how I would approach a given subject. In addition, I may read or happen upon a color combination that truly moves me and find a way to incorporate this into my painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment