Sunday, November 25, 2018

Practice Sheet

(C) 2018 Dale DiMauro

This a watercolor without layers of glazing to build up the forms.  I have been experimenting with different ways to develop a watercolor when time is limited, involving direct painting. Sometimes it is best, as in plein air painting, to get something down quickly before the scene or light changes. There is a freshness with this approach, in the application of the paint as well as in the colors of the mixtures. 

In watercolor, how you handle the edges of your washes says a lot. You can achieve hard edges or soften edges or little of both depending on which affect you are seeking to achieve. 

Lately, I have been experimenting with dragging my brush at a steep angle across the surface of the paper. As seen in the photograph above, when you drag the brush an artist can achieve a rough edge which gives a sense of texture to your painting. As a side note, I prefer a cold-pressed watercolor paper over hot-pressed or rough sheets as it provides some surface variation, yet can be drawn upon, if needed.

This photograph was taken inside at night with artificial light. As a result, I find the photographic qualities are limited, as far as achieving a strong contrast in light. I had misplaced my camera for several hours earlier in the day. Thus, with the days become shorter, I have learned it is important to utilize natural light whenever possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment