Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Placid(by definition): quiet, calm, tranquil

(C) 2018 Dale DiMauro

A few months ago I took a photograph of this scene while gliding across the water in my kayak. The composition of the three main landscape elements: sky, water and trees was stunning. Add to that the reflections from the tree-line and the placid water and you have a timeless scene. Every time I look at this photograph it stops me in my tracks. 

It seems when you have two-thirds of the composition in sky or water(or landscape in other contexts) you can't go wrong depending on what you want to emphasize.

Earlier this afternoon I found a discarded, unused, sheet of watercolor paper and sought to see what I could come up with. It doesn't have the same proportions as I discussed above, but tweaked the pigments for subtle affect.

The light area in the sky has a wash which includes cadmium yellow and cobalt violet while the water has some indigo to enhance the value. 

No comments:

Post a Comment