Sunday, November 4, 2018

South Pond

(C) 2018 Dale DiMauro

Summer in Vermont seems like a long time ago now. This watercolor was inspired from a September paddle when it was still quite humid out. I feel like I captured some of that humidity and moisture in the greens of the foliage.

Over the course of this summer season, with all the moisture in the air and the plant growth on the land, my green palette has expanded. Some of my favorite green pigment mixes have become quinacridone gold/Payne's gray, and aureolin/Payne's gray. Also, I have taken to using Hooker's green on occasion with browns to achieve that green you may come upon in a sunny field. 


In addition, shadow green was used for the water, above, which brings out the yellow-greens of the foliage along the shore.


Often I hear artists say that green is their most challenging color to work with. In watercolor it can be a grayish color or on the other spectrum become quite garish.

No comments:

Post a Comment