Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Plein Air & Unleashed Dogs

                                                                                      (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro
 

This morning I was painting outside by the Pleasant Valley Reservoir, in Brattleboro, Vermont. And it truly was a beautiful morning to be outside and painting. 

My watercolor was rapidly developing when I was accosted by two unleashed dogs. One was a black Labrador who showed me his teeth and circled around me for twenty minutes while the other was an older dog who was of no threat. After some time had passed, a woman walked by apologizing for not having any control of her dogs. 

I find this behavior absolutely inexcusable and becoming a real problem. Dogs are required to be leashed in public and this is a town property. Nevertheless, I was ready to tie that woman on a leash to a tree. 

In the last eighteen months I have been accosted by unleashed dogs on four separate occasions. Twice I have been bitten by dogs and each time the 'master' was an unscrupulous woman.

After this experience I could not resume painting, so I packed up my stuff and left. I have since added a coaches whistle and pepper spray to my plein air bag and am considering other lines of defense.


No comments:

Post a Comment