Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Richard Schmid


 

Richard Schmid(1934-2021) passed away just as I started to read his book, ALLA PRIMA: Everything I Know About Painting. This timing added value to my reading. In particular, I admired Schmid's work, primarily for his artistic skill but at times because he featured local subject matter.

In fact earlier today, in the local used bookstore, this very same book I saw displayed on sale by the checkout counter. His books always seem to be in great demand and thus hard to find and pricey.

Schmid, certainly well known for his oil paintings, did paint in watercolor and gouache. However, of the few watercolors from him, that I have seen, look like his oils with vibrant colors and such a painterly touch. I suspect he used a palette knife in his watercolors as well.

Several years ago I took an oil painting workshop in Putney, Vermont where a group called the Putney Painters would gather, along with other fine artists from across the country and globe. It was not a workshop that he offered but his presence dominated the experience with samples of his drawings and oil studies on hand and discussions of his techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment