Sunday, June 6, 2021

West River Trail(Watercolor Study)

                                                                                      (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro

John Singer Sargent used wax resist as one of his watercolor techniques. After studying up on some of his watercolors I figured I would give it a try.

It dawned on me that I had four wax resist pencils in my studio. On my desk I have white, ultramarine, black and burnt sienna. You can see that I used the white and ultramarine in the upper left corner. I am still figuring out how to best use them but for the right application they look promising.

Wax resist can be used to preserve the white of the paper in some areas or to provide texture or to strengthen your drawing. I think they are best used as an accent in your painting but I suspect other uses will reveal themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment