Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Rembrandt Watercolor Paper

                                                                                 (C)2024 Dale DiMauro
 

Last summer I tried out a new watercolor block called Rembrandt watercolor paper. Oddly, a corner of the top sheet is cut off intentionally on all their watercolor blocks. I don't know why they do this but I love painting on their surface which is cold press. 

The pigment seems to come alive on this surface once I put pigment on the paper. You can see in the above watercolor how fresh the scene appears. I love this quality about the watercolor paper.

I find it best to use a limited palette and paint as direct as possible on this paper. At first I resisted the blotting but have come to accept it as a quality to painting on this paper. 

Over time I have come to accept using a damp sponge as one of my best tools. A sponge prevents any wash from building up or running all over the place. It is particularly useful when painting outside as all kinds of mishaps can impact your painting process.

No comments:

Post a Comment