Sunday, July 21, 2024

Thoughts on Painting a Night Scene in Watercolor

                                                                       (C) 2024 Photograph Dale DiMauro
 

Planning a painting in watercolor of a daylight scene is one thing, but doing it of a night scene is a very different experience altogether. First, it is important to settle on a composition that is simple, yet strong.

I have been thinking about this challenge for some time. I have taken photographs of snowy scenes in Vermont under dramatic sky's.

As in a daylight scene, the sky sets the tone or mood for the painting. There is not much white of the paper left unpainted. As a matter of fact, most of the paper is dark.

Some of the warmer colors may be more exaggerated than normally or even be garish. The key I think for me is not to overthink it or overwork the painting. Hopefully, I will be able to post a night scene before long.


No comments:

Post a Comment